Each Christmas season, Weddington Church partners with the Union County Christmas Bureau to adopt children and special needs adults in our community for Christmas.
Our Angel Tree Ministry serves as an opportunity to make this Christmas season special and to spread the love of Christ with our neighbors. In addition, we offer the opportunity to donate individual teen gift items to love on this often overlooked group of children. We invite you to prayerfully consider adopting one of our 450 angels from the Angel Tree, located in Helms Hall, or from the church offices during business hours. Angels will be available for adoption from November 5-November 26, and teen gifts will be accepted through December 3.
Thank you for adopting an angel(s) this Christmas.
Our Angel Tree Ministry, in partnership with the Union County Christmas Bureau, serves as an opportunity to make this Christmas season special and to spread the love of Christ with our neighbors. When you adopt an angel, you will receive a tag with the person’s name, age, and wish list of items. The gifts you provide will be for the recipient’s entire Christmas. A combination of clothing and toys for each person on your list is ideal. The Union County Christmas Bureau does not add to, or take gifts from, the items you provide. Wish list items are simply recommendations to go off of, not requirements, and each family can contribute what they are comfortable with.
- After you pick an angel from the tree, please officially adopt it by filling out the form linked HERE.
- Purchase gifts for your angel(s).
- Place all gifts in the plastic bag provided. DO NOT WRAP GIFTS.
- Ensure the angel tag is placed on the bag with the provided string. Every bag of gifts must include person’s first name, Family ID#, and Gift Tree ID#. Blank angel tags are available at the Angel Tree in Helms Hall on Sunday mornings, or at the church offices, if you need additional tags for a second bag, or for larger items such as a bike. It is optional to include a gift card for food, a Christmas card/note from your family, and/or a roll of wrapping paper and tape. Gifts are to remain unwrapped inside the provided bag, but you may include the wrapping products for parents who receive these bags for their children.
- Return the bag of gifts at one of the following drop off times: ○ Saturday, December 2 at the YOUTH CENTER from 10am-3pm ○ Sunday, December 3 at the YOUTH CENTER from 8am-12:30pm ○ WMC Church Offices Monday-Thursday from 8:30am-5pm, or Friday from 8:30am-12pm
To accommodate the growing ministry, gifts will NOT be collected during Sunday services. We appreciate your understanding.
ALL GIFTS MUST BE DROPPED OFF NO LATER THAN SUNDAY, DECEMBER 3RD BY 12:30PM. Thank you very much for your contributions to this ministry, but more than that, thank you for giving hope to those who need it this Christmas.
About 2,000 children and adults are adopted and receive their Christmas wish list through the Union County Christmas Bureau each year. Additional families receive gifts from donated items, and historically, there have not been many gifts for teenagers.
Our hope this Christmas is to be able to provide additional teen gifts to be distributed through this portion of the Union County Christmas Bureau’s ministry. If you feel led, please bring unwrapped teen gifts and place them in the barrels located in the FLC and Helms Hall on Sundays in November, or to the church office during business hours.
Helpful Gift Ideas
- Apparel Items (hoodies, sweatpants, fuzzy/fun socks, pajama pants, hats, gloves, gift cards for clothing and sports apparel)
- Plush/sherpa/fleece blanket, stuffed animals
- Accessories (hair clips, jewelry, purses, backpacks, and water bottles)
- Electronics (bluetooth speaker, string lights, LED light strips, chargers, and charging stations)
- Personal Care Items (makeup bags, hair accessories, makeup accessories, Bath & Body Works items, and shaving supplies)
- Entertainment (craft kits, sharpies/pens, board games, card games, footballs, basketballs, and soccer balls)
The Angel Tree ministry is a partnership with Weddington Methodist Church and the Union County Christmas Bureau to adopt foster children, low income children, and special needs adults in our community for Christmas. Our Angel Tree Ministry serves as an opportunity to make this Christmas season special and to spread the love of Christ with our neighbors.
This year we have four ways to volunteer with our Angel Tree Ministry:
- On Friday, Nov. 3 we invite you to come decorate our 10 foot Christmas tree with us!
- On Nov. 29 and Nov. 30 we invite you to serve as we collect Angel Tree gifts from our Weddington Christian Preschool families via their carpool line.
- On Saturday, Dec. 2 and Sunday, Dec. 3 we invite you to serve as we collect, load and deliver the Angel Tree gifts. During the final shift on Dec. 3, we will be meeting at the Youth Center parking lot and caravanning over to the Christmas Bureau to unload all 450 gifts! This is a really special experience!
- We are also looking for 2-3 delivery drivers to drive a large U-Haul truck on December 3.
We do request that volunteers for these shifts be able to lift/move 10+ pounds. All ages are welcome!
The Christmas Bureau is also actively seeking volunteers. This is a really great way to serve with a Sunday school Class, Boy Scout Troop, with your neighbors, or with your children. Learn more on their website. Please note that volunteer shifts will become available on the Christmas Bureaus website in Mid-November.
For more information, contact our Local Missions Minister, Aaron Smith.