The living core of the Christian faith is revealed in Scripture, illumined by tradition, vivified in personal experience, and confirmed by reason.John Wesley
Weddington is a Methodist Church, rooted in the principles and teachings that define the Christian faith. Our Wesleyan theological heritage points to an emphasis on practical divinity. That is, the implementation of genuine Christianity in the lives of believers. We believe, with John Wesley, that the living core of the Christian faith is revealed in Scripture, illumined by tradition, vivified in personal experience, and confirmed by reason. There is also an emphasis on grace – God’s unmerited favor toward us.
We hold in common with all Christians a faith in the mystery of salvation through Jesus Christ and share the belief that God’s redemptive love is realized through the Holy Spirit.
Inspired by John Wesley’s emphasis on the living core of Christianity, we focus on:
- Prevenient Grace: God’s love surrounds all, preceding our conscious impulses.
- Justification and Assurance: God’s accepting and pardoning love for the repentant believer.
- Sanctification and Perfection: God’s continuous nurturing of our growth in grace.
- Faith and Good Works: An interaction of faith and good works that evidences salvation.
- Mission and Service: Linking love of God with love of neighbor and a passion for justice.
- Nurture and Mission of the Church: Emphasizing the nurturing and serving function of Christian fellowship.
Though we are in a time of denominational transition, our beliefs remain steadfast, guiding our mission to connect, grow, and serve in Christ’s love. The teachings of John Wesley continue to illuminate our path, as we walk in the grace and love of Jesus Christ.